Thursday, November 14, 2013

Give Blood. Give Life.



 

November 14th my grandmother and family held a blood drive in honor of my late grandfather and father. It was my first time giving blood, and I was a little anxious. Since I was a new donor, a gregarious man went over what it was all about then I was given a number and waited for a Red Cross nurse. Amongst other things, she let me know the blood I was donating would save on average 2-3 people. That astonished me. You fill out computerized questions and then they test your iron by a finger prick.  You are suppose to have a 12.5 but mine was 12.1, she did it on the other finger- and I was good to go.

You lay down on a bed and my anxiety started swirling. I had no clue I was suppose to eat iron-enriched foods or have drank lots of water but once I was done, the nurses took great care of me and soon I was walking around. I had planned on working out that day - a big no no - so I took it easy the rest of the day. 

It was great seeing my family and everyone who came out. Some people reached their 6, 8, even 10 gallon goal. Wow! I will defiently continue to work with the American red cross like my Nana does and Poppy did. Such an important organization. 

A collage of my grandfather at the Rec center where the blood drive was


Me afterword with my cousins Shay and Maeve


No comments:

Post a Comment