Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Of Life & Death on a Beautiful Summer Day


The other day I was driving in East Haven, about to merge on to the highway when I stopped at a red light. There was an ambulance right in front of me, and I could see clearly into it. The ambulance had no sirens or lights on. There was an elderly woman laying there, eyes closed with a young nurse hovering over her. The nurse all of a sudden stepped away from the stretcher, bent her head down and clasped her hands, prayer style. It felt like that red light went on forever and in that moment I swear I could see and feel that woman's spirit lifting up. Up out of the ambulance into a clear summer sky on an East Haven road.

Sometimes we are reminded of life and of death even on shorts drives on a beautiful summer day. You keep driving and you feel saddened and moved but grateful to be living, to be breathing and realize how much light and beauty truly surrounds you.

No comments:

Post a Comment